Friday, January 2, 2009

The beginning of the end

So here I am again. Planning another diet, another lifestyle change. If I had kept track all of these years I suspect this would be attempt #2639. Whatever attempt it is I hope it's the last one.

I've had a very passionate affair with food all of my life. It's quite reminiscent of my high school relationships. I knew the guy is no good for me but I couldn't help being absolutely crazy about him. My food addiction began the day I was born. At first the doctor's were concerned for my health since I was slightly premature, but those worries quickly withered when I would not detach from my mother's breast. At least that is what my mother states. 

Okay, lets get to business. 

Current Weight: 257 lbs
Goal Weight: 150 lbs
Left to lose: 107 lbs

At a rate of about 10 lbs per month I could reach my goal in a year. But how am I going to do it?
I need to make some serious lifestyle changes. Eating healthy and exercising would be of highest importance. But there are quite a few personality traits I should work on to be able to achieve my goals. For one, my organizational skills sometimes resemble that of a farm animal. I have the capacity to be make detailed plans and organize myself, but laziness usually takes over being a more powerful trait of mine. I also need to work on a daily routine. Wake up and go to bed at the same time everyday, eat breakfast, lunch, dinner at acceptable times, and not at 3 a.m..

I also need to get over my hate of gyms. I absolutely despise going to the gym. It's a shame since my membership for the university gym is paid for in my tuition. Not only do I feel like all eyes are on the fatty struggling on the elliptical, but I think the entire concept is somewhat ridiculous. On weekends I'd have to spend 30 minutes preparing my self to go to the gym, 20 mins driving to the gym, 40 mins of walking in one spot, 20 mins showering and dressing, 10 mins blow-drying my hair, 20 mins driving back home. Thats 2 hours and 20 mins spent on 40 mins of exercising. On weekdays I have to be at school anyway so the time is cut to 1 hour and 40 mins. Being a student at a pretty intense university I feel that any free time I could get is precious. I feel that this time would be better spent studying or relaxing or watching TV or reading a good book. And Toronto weather does not permit outdoor activities for the greater part of the year so it's not like I would enjoy going for a walk or a jog. It's either too hot or too cold. My friends are saying that I am just making excuses, and maybe they are right. But it's truly difficult to start a habit of going to the gym when I despise doing it. I always feel awkward when I'm there. Especially if I see someone I have class with. (I tend to rant excessively about the gym topic)

I will come up with an action plan over the next few days and as soon as I do I will post it here. The plan is that I keep the blog as a progress journal and keep a food diary as well. This should help with the entire process.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment